Friday, March 4, 2011

Doggies

I first read Sandra Boynton's "Doggies" to Charlotte when she was 5 or 6 months old. And boy, this book tired me out!

Boynton takes the reader on a counting journey from one to ten, using barking doggies to illustrate each number. It's an incredibly simple premise: "1 dog. WOOF! 2 dogs. WOOF! Yap yap!" And it goes on like this. By the time you reach number ten, you will have made thirty-three assorted barking noises. Phew!

For the enthusiastic reader like myself, this is not an easy task. I can't simply read the woofs and the yap yaps. I have to get into character. I give it everything I've got.

Of course Charlotte loves this book. What baby doesn't love to hear Mommy make silly noises over and over again? So I read it. Despite feeling like I need a good nap once all is said and done.

I knew baby loved this book from the very first time I read it. When we got to 9 dogs howling on a moonlit night (cue long, drawn out howling noises), Charlotte gave a big grin. In time, she started to howl along with me, and following the "OoooOoooOoo"s on the page with her finger like I do when I read it. Soon, she was howling when we got to the page before the howling page in anticipation. Today, the book will be nowhere in sight. All Daddy or I have to say is "9 dogs..." and Charlotte starts a-howlin'. It's adorable!


"Doggies" is definitely a hit with Charlotte -- and anything that makes baby happy makes Mommy and Daddy happy too. Even if some days reading it feels like running a verbal marathon. WOOF!


Shopping @ SandraBoynton.com

4 comments:

  1. I love this book,too. Such fun to see Miss Charlotte so involved in the story.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This appears to be a very entertaining book. Oh to be 'a fly on the wall' when this book comes out at reading time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to pop over from your Mom's blog to say hello and see what wonderful books you're sharing with your sweet Charlotte. I've read each review, going backwards from today to your inaugural post and am delighted to find favourite books that are being read in my grandchildren's families, too. "Doggies" drove us crazy at times, but the little ones loved it.

    Happy reading!
    Carol Garvin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carol. Thanks for stopping by!

    Lynn, I sometimes wonder if the people who live in the apartment below us ever hear the goings on up here. :) Surely they know there's a baby in the house, otherwise they must think I'm quite nutty lol

    ReplyDelete